The Alamo is a building in San Antonio, Texas. It is actually the chapel of being Mission San Antonio de Valero, which was founded by Franciscans in 1718. A popular name for it became “the Alamo mission” because it fitted in a grOve Of COttOfi WOOd trees and the Spanish name for this tree is alamo.
The mission originally consist‹›d of the chapel, a convent yard, a convent and hospital building, and a plaza, all surrounded by a strong wall. When the Indians disappeared from this region, the mission was abandoned, and after 1793, it was sometimes used as a fort.
In 1835, a group of United States settlers in Texas revolted against Mexico. Texas at that time was part of one of the Mexican states. Many Americans from other parts of the United States came to help these men in their fight. Among them was a man called Davy Crockett.
Late in 1835, the Texans captured Saa Antonio and began to use the Alamo as a fort. The Mexican general, Antonio Lépez de Santa Anna, marched on San Antonio with about 4,000 nun. In the Alanio were about 180 men. They weru led by Col. William Travis and Col. James Bowie.
On February 23, 1836, the Mexicans surrounded the fort but were held off for 13 days. on March 6, 1836, they finally blasted a hole in the wall of the Alamo. As Mexican troops poured into the mission, the Texans continued to fight with knives and bayonets. because wealth had been in the hands of the old land-owning families of England. Of course, there were jealousies, rivalries, and basic differences of political thinking between these two parties, and this was reflected in Parliament.
The merchant party, who wanted to protect their trade with a peaceful foreign policy and a stable currency, became known as Whigs. The land-owning families, who were at a court near the King, loyal to the Stuarts, more tolerant of Catholics, and less committed to the expansion of world trade, became known as Tories.
Where Is The Real Alamo?
The Alamo Mission (Spanish: Misión de Álamo), commonly called the Alamo and originally known as the Misión San Antonio de Valero, is a historic Spanish mission and fortress compound founded in the 18th century by Roman Catholic missionaries in what is now San Antonio, Texas, United States.